Anyone Play any of these games? 
Posted: 27 March 2008 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

Me and a couple of my friends are looking into a side project game.. has anyone played any of these free based games?

Shadowbane
Anarchy Online
Rappelz
Regnum

any input would be great, thanks

Posted: 27 March 2008 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

i played shadowbane back in beta, its just another in the line of many hack and slash games with no real deep content.  Only uniqueness it had was that you could build a city and then attack other cities.  And as far as i know, the only game with flying characters.  But i was led to believe it was closing shop.

Anarchy Online is a scifi based game that i gave a try, it was ok but i didn’t get that into it though there are some that swear by it.

no idea about reppelz

Regnum i’ve heard of but not played.

Ones i’m waiting on:  Age of Conan, Stargate Worlds, Darkfall, and a firefly based on thats still in development.  There is a star trek based one but it was dumped recently.

Posted: 27 March 2008 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-11-02

I hear that there’s a Tom Clancy MMO in the works.  I wonder how that’s gonna be.

Signature 

“A word to the wise ain’t necessary—it’s the stupid ones that need the advice.”

Posted: 27 March 2008 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

Waiting on Darkfall as well.. and curious about warhammer..
Shadowbane i guess just had a huge update and is going strong still, downloading now, its all free now so no real harm in checking it out. 

i never watched the stargate show so i dont know much past the first movie(only movie?) which kinda makes me stray from that one… you couldnt pay me to play a star trek game wink

age of conan could be good.. but could bomb.. havent heard much on it

Tom Clancy.. hmmm i too wonder how it will work

Posted: 27 March 2008 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

got shadowbane downloaded, and installed.. not gonna play tonight, but i like the amount of options you have when creating your char..

Posted: 28 March 2008 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2008-01-15

All these games are the DEVIL!!!!

They only take time away from Moral Decay!

Signature 

And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Posted: 28 March 2008 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

im kinda burnt out on moral.. that.. and im due for a death so im trying to avoid that. heh

Posted: 28 March 2008 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-15

Burnt out just means you need to start a char you would normally never play or attempt to aristo an adventurer.  I forgot who was trying to do that or if he was succesful. 

Just pick your “least favorite” class or the one least conducive to your playing style and go from there. 

I did that once with a Necro...granted I still haven’t aristoed that secret char.  Muwhahahah!

Signature 

Posted: 28 March 2008 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

kinda did that.. aristoed my mage.. least favorite is druid atm.. damn tree huggers.. i dont see how playing my “least favortie” will keep my attention span.

Posted: 28 March 2008 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-15

New and different challenges....?

Signature 

Posted: 28 March 2008 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2007-11-22

I wish I got notified when I was due a death as a player, I could have avoided my 3 deaths to 3 different mages in 2 weeks.  course if it helps Lynis, I could just kill you as you idle someplace then you don;t need to avoid it any longer smile

Signature 

What do you mean I called you beautiful and you were the only one.  That was just the beer and pillow talk baby.

Posted: 28 March 2008 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-15

Well well well..if it isn’t the mystery wizard!  Keep your little itchy trigger finger away from the Zap or Dest button.

Signature 

Posted: 28 March 2008 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

Oh hell.. who let him on here… you killed me enough on accident when you played

Posted: 09 April 2008 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2007-11-22

I must admit, every time I think of the time I killed skin, i laugh.  That was a damn funny death, and completely by accident. smile

Signature 

What do you mean I called you beautiful and you were the only one.  That was just the beer and pillow talk baby.

Posted: 12 April 2008 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

those games really are all the same, they’re just like MD with all its hack and slash grind of levels and skills only with a pretty color pictures attached.  Very few games are a break from that.

You can put most into what we call the “wow’ category, started mostly by everquest and now a dime a dozen.  Make a character, pick a class, and spend all your time grinding to get better stuff so you can go out and grind to get better stuff.  Maybe throw in a little crap for filler, little community, mostly just full of people working to the end game.

Some games, like eve, star wars galaxies, and a few others don’t have such a structured advancement.  Any game where you can be successful in a non combat pursuit without being limited is a winner in my book.