Priest/Paladin Dualism:  The Paladin
Posted: 19 March 2008 03:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2007-11-05

The Paladin
-Bless/Heal/Cure/Remove Curse/Banish/Protection:  Most, if not all of these prayers
are available to the Paladin.  They will not be as effective as their priestly
counterparts, as they sacrifice altruism for real ultimate power (like ninjas),
for whatever reason they wish to roleplay.  Bless will not be as effective
for party members, they can only bless one person at a time, and it cannot be
remote blessing.  Heal is limb-only with less efficacy and no bleedover, etc.
The same, ad nauseum, for the rest of the shared prayers.
-Aura of Righteousness:  You got it, just like its present-day Aura of War counterpart. 
-Blood of the Martyr:  As a nod to Flatline, who was responsible for my current
incarnation of Malal, I’d like to keep this skill.  However, I’d like to change
it to be more along the lines of the aforementioned Shield of Faith.  Make it glow,
number one.  You get out of it what you put into it.  The initial blooding of the weapon requires a sacrifice, but the upkeep doesn’t hurt you, physically.  Adjust power
as needed.
-Holy Might:  Praying for three rounds imbues your weapon with divine power.  This
lasts for one strike only, possibly doing a copious amount of damage to a random
limb, perhaps leaving behind divine energy which burns your enemy.  Does this sound
like Shroud’s Kiss?  Good, because it is.
-Divine Synergy:  Yeah, yeah.  You’ve read about this one already.
-Locate:  I’m giving this to Paladins for two reasons.  One, it was an Antiu prayer and
secondly, because the Paladin is the guy with the vendetta.
-Prior Cleric weapon restrictions:  What weapon restrictions?
-Paladin/Priest synergy:  I want there to be something special about Priest/Pally
parties.  If anyone can come up with other prayer combinations, please feel free.
-NO RESURRECTION ABILITY

Posted: 19 March 2008 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2007-11-05

One final thing I’d like to add:  If you have nothing to contri...just joking.  Well, not really.
This is designed to get rid of the bad beast present-day devotion.  Therefore, prayer efficacy for both Paladin and Priest is entirely based off of level and statistics (aside from Shield of Faith and
Blood of the Martyr).  This allows for greater control and ease of adjustment by the wizards, as
everyone is on a level playing field.
Take away the restriction on Priest/Pally and necro partying together.  There may be other reasons why partying isn’t feasible (like priest-shield and pally-weapon glowing like the freaking sun).

Posted: 19 March 2008 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2008-01-15

Would these two calls of faith still be selectable under the Cleric class.  Or is it a one time thing...I decided to be a cleric or a Paladin.  I think a lot of this exists currently and could exists currently under the system we have now with out the stupid devotion requeirement based on time.  I mean...a lot of players play as Paladin with cleansed weapons and focus more on the offensive.  Otheres play more as priest and focus on the healing side of life.  Still thirdly soem sit in the middle like myslef on some healign and soem firepower and wallow in mediocrity.

From a codign stand point...or in an attempt to limit coding for wizards I think that these could almost be doen with adjsutments to current code and possibly rankign as paladin or priest based on the level of whatever god you have the most of....

I do like the overall idea though...I just wonder if it can be done with minor adjustments to the current system.  Possibly improving the likelihood of it being done…

Ramblign I know but a response nonetheless…

Signature 

And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Posted: 19 March 2008 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

Paladin idea looks good also.  I was thinking on the drive home that maybe every 5 levels, an auto-attack got thrown into the mix.  (Stealing other names here for the sake of idea only:) Like at level 5, a Paladin could ‘turn on’ Lunge, and at level 10, they’d learn Double-tap, and at level 15, they could learn Assail, and at level 20 . . . etc

This would introduce a more physical element to the Paladin tract

Posted: 19 March 2008 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

I brought this up at an earlier time but maybe allow for specializations within the class.  Every level you get 2 special points, you can then put these points into skills outside of your normal realm of class abilities.  Alot of games have this so you could look at WoW or even diablo 2 to see this in action. 

A paladin could take his points and invest them in a activatible weapon special or in a passive shield boost.  So that at the end of it all two players could be paladins but still be very different in their skill sets.

Posted: 19 March 2008 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

I like the idea of offering more prayers than a prayerbook can hold, for the same reason.  Someone might want a Light prayer more than they want a Cure Disease prayer.  I say: let ‘em pick!