Fighters Shields
Posted: 21 March 2008 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

Right now, the only class that really uses sheilds is necros and possibly newbies. 

This topic has been started on the Fighters Board.. but I thought i would upen it up here.. while I feel the issue is kind of a dead issue, because the whole point of useing a shield over 2h or 2, 1h weapons, is to trade WC for AC..  but like everyone knows.. Fighters already lack in the damage department so the problem is, trade that offense for defense we kill slower and it just drags out the fight even longer.  here are a couple ideas

Boost shields, higher AC/able to block spells/specials would be great.. like ducking behind your shield to escape the blast of the fireball, or nomar trys to rake your eyes but you block him with your shield.. stuff like that.

Abbot suggested being able to use shields with 2h weapons.. which is a good idea, but should be limited to smaller lower AC shields, id say AC2 and lower.. making it less likly to block the full effect of specials but still blocking part of the specials most the time. 

in general, id like to see fighters melee boosted in damage.. maybe a skill that lets you target a body part letting you hit it more often.. not every type you hit you hit that body part.. and head should be able to target but the lowest precentage of hitting still, making it really not worth targeting the head early on. 

well there are a few ideas but getting a little bit off topic so ill start another thread

Posted: 21 March 2008 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

I like the idea of boosting damage from your 1h when you have a shield in the other.  In my mind’s eye, it’s all about leverage.  If you’ve ever used a hatchet to cut wood while backpacking, you know that it helps to hold another log in your off-hand, so that when you swing, you torso stays centered and you’re able to get a really good hack.  So when a fighter uses a shield, add some damage to every swing with the 1h that they’re wielding.

Posted: 21 March 2008 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

as someone who has actually fought with a sword (well actually a stick) and a shield in combat i can tell you there is a very ‘normal’ feel to it.  Two swords and great swords require you to move around alot, be very quick with attacks and posture changes.

Some of the things you can do with a shield, the obvious shield bash, you can use the shield to bind the opponents weapon, you can slice the shield in edge first to limit the opponents weapon movement, you can hide behind the shield and move in closer, as well as physically move the person using the shield.

Posted: 28 March 2008 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2007-11-22

Another idea is to have the parry\riposte be ale to target the weapon arm of the foe.  A nice hard whack on his weapon bearing arm would speed up the combat once they are disarmed.

Maybe it already does this, I haven’t played fighter since bladedance was usefull.  I was never very warm to the new fighter stuff and I still prefer the old fighter to the new one.  Maybe I should create a new fighter and try it again, I know i wasn’t too impressed the last time, but then I am old and grumpy and want my fighter tattoo back or make the weapon belt useful.

am i off topic, what was the topic originally....well excuse me for being old and not able to hold a thought longer than...heimdall is a clone trooper....explains so much.

Signature 

What do you mean I called you beautiful and you were the only one.  That was just the beer and pillow talk baby.

Posted: 28 March 2008 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2008-01-15

Explains my affinity for death doesn’t it.

Signature 

And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Posted: 03 April 2008 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-22

yeah, you get all geared up with all the latest technology, and some bastard magic user cuts you down with a glowing stick.

Signature 

What do you mean I called you beautiful and you were the only one.  That was just the beer and pillow talk baby.

Posted: 03 April 2008 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-15

I have thought about this a little more....

i really think that a shield, 2 handed poleharm comob would work well.  Maybe that would be the only allowable two hander as one.  I am just thinking that you could have the chacne for a special with a shield block thrust thingee like the Romans.

shrug.....

Signature 

Posted: 03 April 2008 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-22

I always thought a shield\polearm combo would be the most realistic combo.  Polearms can be wielded one hand as they were in old days.  course they were also called spears and were thrown as well.  Hmmm, a throwing polearm....neat weapon idea.

Signature 

Posted: 03 April 2008 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-15

There is a precedent for it...there used to be a crossbow in the game that had projectiles....
I think it got abused though, nerfed, then removed.

Signature 

Posted: 03 April 2008 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-22

There is an Archery set in the game currently.  At least I think there is.  that’s the problem with old age, I can never recall what is in and what was taken out and replaced with a pet rock.

Signature 

Posted: 03 April 2008 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-15

Oooh....  there needs to be a locate object prayer/spell so I can randomly find stuff like that.  It could show the NPC/Player that is holding it.  No room desc or anything....

I want to play with an archery set.

Better yet u just locate that object file and get back to me with the inforamtion. smile

Signature 

Posted: 03 April 2008 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-22

Oh I know excatly where I think it is smile

I will double check my facts though to make sure I am not recalling a dream or crazy drunken momoent )

Signature 

Posted: 03 April 2008 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-15

Through time, stupidity, alcohol, and the loss of my cool notebook of md secrets I have forgotten too much.....

This has made me think of a “kid’s archery set” though.....forcing me to explore is not fair....but I just might

Signature 

Posted: 03 April 2008 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-22

you should explore more smile Whole new areas are open that have huge baddies to humble you in most embarassing fashions smile

Nothing I have coded cause most of them were newbie areas, but I am sure Abbot has smile

Signature 

Posted: 03 April 2008 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-15

I have explored some...I am still too chicken to explore other places but I will get to that eventually.

I used to be more adventurous in exploring but with restricted time I have to make my play count more.  That’s one reason I am playing my cleric so I can do a little bit more exploring....a little easier when u can take soem damage and run out and heal with out a few lucky hits to the head doing you in.

Signature 

‹‹ Fighter Legendary Leggings      Fighters ››