Tell me about…. 
Posted: 12 March 2008 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
Candidate
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-11-06

This thread is for people to ask about certain bits of MD history.  Did you hear about an event or rumour and want to know more?  No quest info or anything though!

I’ll start:

Tell me about the ebola virus in the game

Posted: 12 March 2008 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

I’ll start us off.  The Ebola Virus was begun sometime around 1998 (others can perhaps get more specific), and it originated in Indel.  Samoan was bored as a wizard and as one of his final acts coded up the elaborate Ebola Virus.  I was a very new wiz and was only vaguely aware of what others were doing - so unfortunately that’s all I remember.

Now that I’m poking around in Indel, I’m still coming across the periodic reference in code to Ebola.  The code doesn’t work, but the lines are still scattered here and there.

Posted: 12 March 2008 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Adventurer
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-11-06

Well, I could be wrong, but sounds to me like something Samoan stole from Cancer then.

Back when I was highly active, 95-97, Cancer would shout about Numbs being infected with Ebola and then go and try and PK people drinking there.

Thats how I remmeber it, but who knows, maybe i’m confused as usual.

Posted: 12 March 2008 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

No, no - you’re right, I remember that part too.

Posted: 12 March 2008 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

meee too, i thought he WAS the Ebola smile

Posted: 13 March 2008 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Candidate
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

Heh, I had a flashback to finding a couple of “alobe” antidote (or something) in the game.  One of the areas which had it is no longer in the game.  The other seems to have been removed (or else I didn’t look in the right place).

Oh well.

Posted: 13 March 2008 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2008-01-15

I forgot all about the Virus but I do remember it as a way to lure people to Numbs for death.

Signature 

And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Posted: 13 March 2008 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-11-02

Yes, Ebola was originally created by Cancer.  We used to call him monkeyboy in RL, because he looked like a monkey.  And so the ebola virus was born.  The Hawaiians were at war with Darkside and Numb’s at the time.  Cancer would shout that if anybody drank at Numb’s, that they would contract the ebola virus and/or die. 

Then Samoan created an actual ebola virus quest which I thought was pretty funny.  Some players didn’t like it too much though.

Signature 

“A word to the wise ain’t necessary—it’s the stupid ones that need the advice.”

Posted: 14 March 2008 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

so, if the quest is gone, and not coming back, more details about the quest

Posted: 14 March 2008 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

I can’t remember any specifics about it, as I never completed it as a player, and as a wiz, as I’ve come across bits and pieces here and there, I’ve merely commented out what I’ve found without bothering to trace it further than the current bit of code that I was looking at.

Posted: 13 March 2009 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Candidate
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
Igor - 13 March 2008 09:29 AM

Heh, I had a flashback to finding a couple of “alobe” antidote (or something) in the game.  One of the areas which had it is no longer in the game.  The other seems to have been removed (or else I didn’t look in the right place).

Oh well.

Spooky....I was exploring/mapping an area today (about the 3rd time I’ve mapped this particular area - keep losing my sheets) and found the ebola antidote thingy.  Exactly 1 year since I last looked.

Maybe I’ll find more when I re-map some old areas.

‹‹ Smelting, smiths etc..      server down? ››