Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

Name:  Technomage/Engineer/Tinkerer
Summary: a class that uses mechanics instead of magic

Armor restrictions: scale or lower
Weapon restrictions: knives, staves, and 1 handed hammers
additional restriction: given they are technology based, this class cannot using anything magical.

Skills:

Salvage:  The engineer can disassemble items for their component parts.  Take apart a piece of armor for its components, a forge helps and increases the yield.
Repair:  the engineer can repair broken items, resetting its durability but lowering its overall durability.
Analyze:  The engineer can study a piece of equipment to understand its strengths and weaknesses
Tinker:  The player can attempt to tinker with a piece of equipment, possibly increasing some of its stats or by the same right risk lowering them.
Augment: Like tinker but more specific.  The player may attempt to adjust an items specific resistances.  Increasing a helms fire resistance but lowering its cold resistance
Make Golem:  Using engineering abilities and salvaged parts the player is able to construct pets, based on level and items available.  Types of golem are varied, depending on the parts and their quality.
Construct components:  Used with many syntax to make the various components to make a golem
Golem Suit:  high level engineers can make a golem that they wear as armor, giving them increased damage and abilities at the cost of any additional pets.
Bomb:  Being skilled in materials and chemicals, the tinkerer can make explosives that they can use to break doors, chests, or generally damage a target.  Explosives of various damage types are available.

G

Posted: 12 March 2008 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Adventurer
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2008-02-04

Kind of makes me think of Ironman.  Perhaps that should be something of a level 28 skill for this class?

Posted: 12 March 2008 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

makes me think of hellgate

Posted: 12 March 2008 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05
Lynis - 12 March 2008 03:08 PM

makes me think of hellgate

well it certainly gets some of its inspiration from the hellgate class, but also from the engineer crafting in Wow and a few other smaller sources.  The idea is to create a whole new concept of classes beyond what we already know.

Posted: 12 March 2008 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

I was thinking Bard..
minor spells
minor thief skills
minor fighting/armor
and songs
yay songs

Posted: 13 March 2008 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05
Lynis - 12 March 2008 05:00 PM

I was thinking Bard..
minor spells
minor thief skills
minor fighting/armor
and songs
yay songs

yea it could certainly be done.

But i’d be ok seeing non combat classes start to make an appearance, lets say we get player housing, someone is gonna need to make the furniture or the musical instruments.

Posted: 14 March 2008 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

Last night Abbot and I were talking about Clerics and how we could make them more annoying to play than they currently are.  That got me thinking about a new class, but I couldn’t think of something that was unique - that didn’t overlap with other classes in terms of powers/ spells/ abilities.

I could get behind the idea of a new class if we could come up with a theme and a full list of skills/ spells/ powers from level 5-30.

Oh, and if someone wants to create another thread with ideas on how we can make clerics more annoying, I’d follow that too.  I suppose I’d even consider ways to improve Cleric - even if that entailed a complete rewrite (since I wouldn’t be doing it, Abbot would).

Posted: 16 March 2008 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

sorry but arn’t clerics already annoying enough?

Posted: 16 March 2008 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

Belly, how do you feel about changing our current class structure?  I’m think we could sorta bring back the sects and incorporate them at lower levels, like level 15.

lvl 5 - join necro class
lvl 15 - choose between the warlock, the vampire, or the harbringer path.

Posted: 16 March 2008 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

Gee, I don’t know about a more complex system like that.  It’s certainly not entirely out of the question (though it’d be a significant amount of work ... for Abbot to do - muwahahaha!)

Right now, I’m mainly interested in helping Clerics be able to explore in the middle of a boot and not suffer major consequences and the loss of power.

In general, my opinion is that the days of 24/7-players are long gone and never to return.  As such, I’d like to see MD cater more toward those that currently play, not those of the early-90s.  Our current players seem to be husbands, wives, parents, and professionals who have a couple of hours of downtime to play a few days a week.  I’d like to see MD get to a point where you could log in, suit up, play for 1-3 hours and your character still profit from it.

Posted: 16 March 2008 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

for clerics there are some easy ways to do that.

non combat actions to effect devotion.
make devotion only count within 5 minutes of the end of combat
make it so devotion can be turned off
either a task/quest/money sink to disable devotion counter

There is a reason i don’t play my cleric, cause after the conversion his devotion is so terrible it’d be easier to start over.