4 of 18
Cleric update
Posted: 02 June 2008 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2008-01-15

I think we are all selling the priest a little short.  Can you imagine the power he/she will have in a party.  The ability to go full tilt with caution to the wind will equal massive massive amounts of XP.  If the bless and hammer are anything with soem power the preists will have some offense of his own to dole out.  I don’t think the priests needs a ton more prayers but one more like summons could be nice.  Heck Belly didn’t say what kind of divine intervention he is using.  Could be a moira liek summons.  I do like when my miniosn come out and do some damage for me.  As much as the offense of a paladin looks intriguing and I would love to hold a sword as a cleric the priest has a huge upside.

Signature 

And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Posted: 02 June 2008 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

in wow, the priest is a requirement for any group, without one you die.  Where as a paladin is more of a solo player, capable of some healing but more about auras and self protection.

So following that logic, maybe the priest would have ‘aura’ of healing where the party would be healed constantly over the course of a few minutes, good for a long battle. 

The priest is more about buffing and protecting while the paladin is more of the lone wolf seeking out the destruction of evil

Posted: 02 June 2008 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

everyone i know was a healing pally on wow.. pallys wernt aloud to tank, only heal..  well for the serious groups atleast.. as for priests.. they were needed to constently heal the tank.. otherwise the tank dies and everyone follows.. but since your talking wow.. i saw alot more shadowpriests then regual ones.. becuase of the ability to dishout mana to partymates… also.. priest in wow could only wear cloth........................... stuiped wow

Posted: 08 June 2008 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2007-11-05

The possible loss of alignment-irrespective protection has been bothering the piss out of me.  A possible solution is to apply across-the-board resistances to the Shield of Faith.

Posted: 12 June 2008 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

Malal, I don’t get your last post - please clarify.

As for a status update for everyone, I’m finished with the first 8 prayers that all Clerics get.  That also completes the prayer-set for Acolytes (level 1-9 Clerics); I’m now moving on to the prayers specific to Priests.

Posted: 13 June 2008 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-15

Wow...look at the little dwarf code!

I think Malal is referrign to the fact that shroud protection is not aligment specific.  It protects like a shield spell and take all incoming damage regardless of alignmnet of NPC.  He is worried about alignment specific protection and the effect on play.

Signature 

Posted: 13 June 2008 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2007-11-05

Thank you, Heimdall.  That’s exactly what I was referring to.  As the recode has the cleric class is leaning more towards a traditional view, I’m simply afraid that I’ll essentially lose the bonuses I enjoyed being a Shroud/Antiu cleric.  The reason I chose the Shroud/Antiu combination was, as strange as it might sound, wholly defensive.  Shroud’s Protection, though less effective than Ledah and Yasuo’s versions, would work vs. opponents of any alignment.  As I was heavily involved in PK at the time, I chose his alignment-irrespective protection.  It’s quite easy to remain on the positive side of the alignment spectrum, so if the efficacy of my Protection were again based on the alignment of my opponent, it is useless in this instance. 

There are two solutions off the top of my head:  The first is to have the protection spells for both priests and paladins more effective vs. evil opponents than non-evils.  This way, they are still afforded some protection irrespective of opponent alignment.  The second, though this is for priest only, is to imbue the Shield of Faith prayer with resistances.  Obviously, this would afford the priest this added protection only while wearing the shield and make Shield of Faith a super-badass-holy-crap-i-just-pwnt-your-mom’s-face-zomgroflcopterbbqsauce!!!!1!!ONE!!!ELEVEN!! spell.

Thank you very much, Stunty, for the update.  I’m quite excited.

Posted: 13 June 2008 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

Ahhhh, I gotcha.  (As an aside, I think that was Heimdall most coherent and comprehensible post on these forums yet!)

I haven’t gotten to Shield of Faith yet, but I did finish Protection from Evil.  As you can deduce from the title, it does what it
says: it protects you from evil.  The nature of Clerics is that they are good aligned and their preferred enemy is, generally, the evil-aligned.  If it’s any consolation, Protection from Evil doesn’t amplify damage taken from good-aligned NPCs - that be both cool, and cruel.

As I said, I haven’t gotten as far as Shield of Faith or any other defensive capabilities.  I’ll try to work *something* in that gives general protection against everything, but be aware, most of the Cleric abilities are targeted to help the good-aligned and harm the evil-aligned.

Posted: 13 June 2008 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

I always liked Easter Eggs when I played video games.  The spell that I’m working on for Priests tonight has one that you may never see (there’s a 1 out of 100 chance of seeing it):

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the X when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

muwahahaha!  That means a whole six-pack of Whup Ass is about to be opened up on someone!

Posted: 14 June 2008 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

I was going to have a Priest pray to speak with the dead.  It was going to return whoever killed the corpse, and any additional information that a wiz wanted - along the lines of detect-magic-info, or appraise info.  I thought that’d be fun for Tasks and such.  Unfortunately this duplicates a mage spell, deadspeak, and I don’t want to do that.  Can’t have two classes with identical abilities.

So, any bright ideas of something to replace Speak with the Dead with?  I’ll take a utilitarian prayer, or something pointless and “just because” (like deadspeak, that Illusionist spell that fakes death, or ventriloquism).

Posted: 15 June 2008 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

Zarekh suggested the Serene Aura as a replacement, saying it’s good for exploring but not much else. 

Zarekh tells you: see i have godo ideas everyonce in a while

Even though he can’t ever type a complete, error-free sentence, he’s right.  I like it; that’s a possibility - any other ideas?

Posted: 15 June 2008 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2007-11-08

How about Prosletyze?  You could stand at V Ent and sing the praises of your god...and every person that passes by gives you a slight boost—mana, health, whatever...your god rewards you for spreading his/her word.  Maybe it could give similar effects to viewers based on their alignment, etc.

On that note:  any chance we set it up so we get to invent our own god?  Upon choosing Paladin/Priest, we get to pick our deity and the prayers fill with the name we picked, a la huntmessage.  We could even invent our own little backstory, and this backstory could be the meat of the Prosletyze prayer.  During battle, Paladins could have little emotes, similar to zerk, but holy battle cries and such, all tailored to the sphere of the god you have chosen.

The point of this post is:  let’s not sacrifice the individuality of the clerics when we remove the existing Pantheon.

Posted: 15 June 2008 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

I went with Zarekh’s suggestion because it is moderately useful without being overpowering.  In the spread of prayers, this fills a small niche after subclassing to Priest but before gaining the more powerful priestly spells.

I’ve used the first part of Reinhold Niebuhr’s prayer for serenity:

X grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

If anyone objects or finds this offensive, please send me mudmail and I’ll just make up some other intonation.  It’s a real prayer that I’ve used, and I don’t want to offend anyone.

As for Deisel’s gods/ customization/ pantheon question: I have something in the works, but don’t want to unveil it yet until I’ve settled on it and its gotten a thumbs-up from the Wizard community.  For now, know that I have considered this, that I agree with your sentiments, and I have a plan ...

Posted: 15 June 2008 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-15

I like that prayer as well Belly.  I think it is also used by AA and is on the back of their one year coins.

Signature 

Posted: 16 June 2008 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

My original thought for Last Rites was that it’d give Priests mana without them having to get drunk and that restricting their prayers.  However, I’ve essentially removed the drunkeness restrictions (there’s only 1 spell for which it applies at this point). So it really isn’t necessary to give priests a way to get mana w/o getting drunk.

In repurposing Last Rites, I’m having it add alignment.  So, if a cleric was too lazy to kill evil things, theoretically they could trade mana for alignment with this prayer.  Here’s my question:
Is it vastly more annoying than cool for a Priest to need a thing of holy water in their inventory for this prayer?

It wouldn’t really be consumed by the prayer (that is, you don’t use it up); you’d just need to have it if you wanted to do this one prayer.

4 of 18

‹‹ Class that needs help      Sub-Class Ideas ››