2 of 6
Smelting, smiths etc.. 
Posted: 14 March 2008 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2007-11-06

If you guys come up with any good info here, please post it on md. This is a great place to discuss things, but if you would like to see changes to the game you will probably want to invoke the mercantile board. The vault’s incorporation has been slower than planned, but it involves changes from the current vault setup that will make it much more appealing to the guild system. Unfortunately I am not the one who will be setting it up, so I can’t give you a time frame.

Anyway, I don’t browse forums much, so keep me updated on md if you have good ideas.

Ab

Posted: 14 March 2008 03:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

forums are so much easier to browse then md boards, i can check everything all at once, dont get spamed and have to reread, or go hunting down boards… as you can see.. im pretty active here.. but the only boards i ever check are fighter/sanc/lounge/aristo.. everything else only with a blue moon

Posted: 14 March 2008 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-11-02

Nod Lynis.  That’s why I built them.  It’s much easier to post here, being that everything is right in front of your face and elegant.  You also have formatting options, quote capabilities and the ability to write longer posts.  It’s also alot easier to read.

Signature 

“A word to the wise ain’t necessary—it’s the stupid ones that need the advice.”

Posted: 14 March 2008 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

dont forget spell checker!

Posted: 14 March 2008 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

and RSS!

Posted: 14 March 2008 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2007-11-22

And the fact that I can say whatever the hell I want, when I want, without any repercussions whatsoever.

And the fact that we dont have to wait for a wiz to clear up 50 messages.

And the fact that it seems much more active, colorful, FUN, and enjoyable to post here.

God bless America and HOAX!

Signature 

Alithras Moonson is gonna rip your guts. <666>

Posted: 16 March 2008 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Candidate
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-11-06

This assumes newbs will have money.

Yeah, it can be difficult for (genuine) newbies to get a hang of the economy and make money.  Perhaps give a new player a bit more silver than 250?

I have a couple of ideas about helping newbies make money.  I’ll post them on the forum here in a separate topic at some stage…

This requires that there be a armorer with the proper size and material of equipment.

True, but most sizes are catered for.  The bigger problem would be weapon guilds.  As you know, the range of low level weapons currently in stock is rather narrow.

Better idea is that Galen buys stock.

He still could, but I thought that my coupon idea would help get newbies involved in the whole guild economy a bit earlier.  Perhaps it could be that Galen gives free gear until lvl 3, then the player has to buy their own?

How bout the armorsmiths be able to make necklaces and rings of a non magical nature?

That could almost be a completely new profession/guild type.  Also, it would mean armour guilds having to either ditch a current item from stock, or else buy a new item slot increasing the rent the guild has to pay

Posted: 16 March 2008 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

so you add two new professions:

jewelcrafter - a maker of necklaces, rings, trinkets (items in inventory that give bonus) and hopefully a new item slot - earrings

cook - lets move the sale of food away from NPCs and to player shops, it’ll increase the value of food units.

Posted: 16 March 2008 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

Post the Cook idea on the Guild Board.  It’d be Scavenger’s department and he hasn’t been around too much of late, but I think there might be some value to the idea - at least in its discussion.  However, one of the original intentions of Food was that it NOT be a requirement, as it is on other muds - and as Alcohol is on MD, but rather that it be something *extra*

Posted: 16 March 2008 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

alcohol isn’t a requirement.  The monk class is built around this particular idea.

Posted: 17 March 2008 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

while food and alcohol arnt requirements, they have become Necessity.  Jack sells a ton of bread.  But food on moral is still different from other muds that use it as a requirement, moral uses food to heal and sober up, to drink more, to heal.. the few other muds i have been on that require food is because they are hungry or thirsty and HAVE to eat, otherwise, stats/health/regenerate drops.

but back to the main point of this thread, another thing to look at, is how metal guilds compare to food
processor = smelter
bar= armour/weapons

processors/bars dont have much of a problem that i see right now, everyone processes and bars need stock quite often

but smelters dont really need stock, because weapons/armours dont need stock… and i think part of the reason its such a dramatic difference is that armours have to tailor to certain classes/sizes.. and even then they only buy maybe once a boot if that… where bars all classes and sizes (cept monk) drink alcohol all through out the boot.. the harder you play, the more you drink. with brings me back to a point that has been made before.. maybe requirements for metal guilds should be lowered.

Posted: 17 March 2008 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

shhhhhhhhhhh hungover at work

Posted: 17 March 2008 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2008-01-15

YELL!  That is for Lynis!

Signature 

And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Posted: 17 March 2008 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

Lynis the point of bringing up food and making it a player run guild is that it is not a requirement but a necessity for efficient playtime.  Store bought weapons and armor are exactly the same.  I bet you could log in as a newbie and never play with a piece of storebought stuff.  They make life easier, and could be argued as being a necessity, but you can live without them.

So the angle we need to take is to increase their necessity, either thru increasing their value or decreasing everything elses usability

Posted: 18 March 2008 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

I can log on any char and never buy anything (food or metal items) from any player owned stores.  Im not sure what your point is.  I can do it, but its easier and more reasonable not too.  I also dont think we need to focus on newbies, seeing how your only a newbie for a week tops.. most people can class in a day or 2 now anyways.. its levels 5-28 im looking at.  I was more pointing out that the bar/processers are not very far off from where they need to be, because they are already universal to all classes of all sizes (cept monks), the only thing they have to worry about is str, but that is really a small factor and most bars cover all the basic strs anyways so they really are not losing out on any customers.  where smiths tailor to a level (because of str and how much you can hold) class (type of armor) and size… ie.. a small or large of any class, has not use for my guild.. a monk and mage of any size has no use for my guild..  a med Thief and Barb can buy 2-3 items (belt,boots, a thief can also buy gloves(iron)).. do you see what im saying? cept monks, anyone can drink at any bar of there choice, and if you want to have a good boot, they will drink alot.  were cept for monks and barbs, you only need to buy one set of armor for a whole 8 hour boot (cept for boots).  and im not saying thats a bad thing, but the reason metal guilds need to be tweeked down to scale with the playerbase.

anyways, main point, we need to focus more on smelting and smiths (ie the topic).. while adding bakers and butchers and such is a great great great idea.. thats not the part of the economy that is struggling to a point of bottoming out.

2 of 6