Where have all the mages gone? 
Posted: 17 April 2008 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2007-11-22

As the ocean ebbs and flows, so does the class power of classes on MD.

Where have all the great spellcasters gone? I have my gueses as to why. And after a in-depth discussion with some of the best on MD, its sad to say, but we are in the era of the melee classes.

Ahhh, I remember typing who class with Sorcere and seeing at least 5 other mages on, all from the different schools.

I wonder at the end of the spectrum how a level 29 mage would fare against the high end NPCs, or even that aristo killing Ice area…

I’d be licking my chops thinking if I had a truly MAXXED out Invoker with 500+ mana doing chain lightning...I dont think anything would survive on the game, with damage points going up as well with int/level…

Signature 

Alithras Moonson is gonna rip your guts. <666>

Posted: 17 April 2008 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

I have been thinking the same, more so, when did the power shift from Conj to Enchanter.. I remember when the mud was full of Conjs, which is why i switched to Enchanter only to realize everyone else is Enchanter now it seems.  The only high level mage i see soloing for exp anymore is shams.  But i have thought about it with scorn, seeing how well i would fair getting GRLR and suchs items, I know its damn near impossible now that i aristoed to get LRLR solo.  Only got 2-3 spells off per spellup.  Again, its crazy you bring this up because i was just thinking about the days of Sorcere soloing every bad ass
NPC around.

Posted: 17 April 2008 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2008-01-15

Enchanter is such a party based mage is why you see so many of them.  When you spell up a melee class with the enchanter spells they are basically a walking tank that takes very very very little damage and has extra attacks.  When I used to play in parties with Colt he would spell me up with haste, talisman, and globe.  I would then gather up as many 10 moatees together and go to town zerking with my flints getting 12 hits per round.  Then he’d come and clean the place and get the cash for my alc.  I’d go kill a little more with the leftover spells, he’d trance and we’d do it again in another area.  It was a sick sick sick party.  That is why I think you see so many enchanters.

Secondly if you are just chilling in the lounge the enchanter is the perfect support mage to do it with.  A maxxed invoker/conjurer I think would still be one of the most badass characters in the game i just don’t think that folks want to take the time to do it.  500 mana chain lightning would be some of the sickest offense out there like A said.

Signature 

And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Posted: 17 April 2008 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

I am gonna have to go with a Max Illusionist. They tailsman and globe.. plus all the invoker spells… and Conjs were an excellent party class and support, flameshield rocked… plus they get featherweight,protect, enchant and phase.. then they also can help out after spell ups for web/poison and steaks.. they get haste and i think with overmax stats they will get globe also

Posted: 17 April 2008 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-15

The questions is whether you can get globe and cast a massive chaos spell and live.  I would lvoe to see that.  If the Chaos spell gets exponentially higher with level and wisdom...wpuldn’t it almost get too powerful for a mage to cast and survive the damage that he receives from casting it.  It has been many many years since I played a mage.  I vote Spence get back to mage building or you guys with mages go out and get to playing them to test my theories.

Ps: Damn it’s bad when u type a post and your fingers can’t keep up with your brain.  I read this and couldn’t follow it the first time b/c it was missign so many words.

Signature 

Posted: 17 April 2008 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2007-11-22

heimy, you should make a mage and test your own theories out smile

The problem i found with the mage class was all the down time trancing.  They were great if you were doing something else, but I found them extremely tedious to play. 

I do think part of the downfall of mages was when all the mage weps got taken down a few pegs.  well maybe not the downfall, but the switch to other schools.

Signature 

What do you mean I called you beautiful and you were the only one.  That was just the beer and pillow talk baby.

Posted: 17 April 2008 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-15

Laugh...I wish I had time to test my theories out.  I can barely get a cleric up in level much less starting a mage from the ground up.  The time I would spend dying from level 1-15 would slow the heck out of my theory testing.  With the cleric at least I died only once before I got to 19, 3 times trying quest 5 and a few times since becoming an aristo.

Signature 

Posted: 17 April 2008 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2007-11-22

take an extended sick leave or make up some needed surgery like Lynis, that will give you the time smile

Signature 

What do you mean I called you beautiful and you were the only one.  That was just the beer and pillow talk baby.

Posted: 18 April 2008 03:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-15

Yes that could work...but you are forgetting my biggest MD time killers.  A two year old and a wife who HATES MD.  Not sure the surgery would stop my wife from preventing me from playing MD whenver I wanted.

Signature 

‹‹ Barbarians      Newbies ››